Ransomware is ugly. It infects your machine and locks all the the data and to unlock you have to pay a fee. In this episode we dive into some of the people behind it.
This episode was sponsored by CMD. Securing Linux systems is hard, let CMD help you with that. Visit https://cmd.com/dark to get a free demo.
This episode was sponsored by MyWallSt. Their app can help you find good looking stocks to invest in. Visit MyWallSt.com/dark to start your free 30 day trial.
- 2011 - Renaissance of ransomware
- 2017-2019 Ransomware statistics and facts
- 50 Hackers Using Lurk Banking Trojan Arrested in Russia
- A History of Ransomware: Where It Started & Where It’s Going
- An Illustrated History Of Bitcoin Crashes
- Angler by Lurk: Why the infamous cybercriminal group that stole millions was renting out its most powerful tool
- Angler Exploit Kit
- Angler Takes Malvertising to New Heights
- Angler’s obituary: Super exploit kit was the work of Russia’s Lurk group
- Attack Code Helps Angler Exploit Kit ‘Evade Microsoft’s EMET’
- Brit hacker jailed for strapping ransomware to smut site ad networks
- Computer hacker who blackmailed porn users jailed after UK’s ‘most serious’ cyber crime investigation
- Connecting the Dots Reveals Crimeware Shake-up
- Criminal Case Record of Zain Qaiser
- Demise of Angler, the world’s worst exploit kit, still shrouded in mystery
- Department of Computer Science Information Pages
- Distributor of the Reveton Police Ransomware Jailed by UK’s NCA
- Europol Police Ransomware Threat Assessment
- FBI MoneyPak Ransomware
- Florida Man laundered money for Reveton ransomware. Then Microsoft hired him
- Former Microsoft Engineer Gets Prison for Role in Reveton Ransomware
- GEEK ‘PLANTED INFECTED SOFTWARE ON PORN SITES’
- Green Dot MoneyPak Fraud Schemes - ROCIC Special Research Report
- Hacker behind £500k online blackmail campaign jailed
- Hacker from Russian crime group jailed for multi-million pound global blackmail conspiracy
- Hacker From Russian Crime Group Jailed In Multi-Million Dollar Global Blackmail Conspiracy
- Hacker who blackmailed porn users into handing him money after they clicked on his pop-up adverts jailed
- Hand-To-Hand Combat With The Insidious ‘FBI MoneyPak Ransomware Virus’
- Here’s how criminals use Bitcoin to launder dirty money
- High-rolling hacker jailed after launching malware attacks via websites
- How Police caught the UK’s most notorious porn ransomware baron
- Huge spam and malware network goes offline
- Inside a ‘Reveton’ Ransomware Operation
- Is Paid Traffic Worth Buying In 2018?
- Key Figure in Police Ransomware Activity Nabbed
- Liberty Reserve
- Lurk trojan takedown also took out Angler exploit kit
- Malicious code hidden in advert images cost ad networks $1.13bn this year
- Malware in ads turn computers into zombies
- Manhattan U.S. Attorney Announces Charges Against Liberty Reserve, One Of World’s Largest Digital Currency Companies, And Seven Of Its Principals And Employees For Allegedly Running A $6 Billion Money Laundering Scheme
- Microsoft Engineer Charged in Reveton Ransomware Case
- Microsoft engineer charged with money laundering over Reveton ransomware
- Microsoft Information Page: Exploits and exploit kits
- MoneyPak Website - Send money quickly and convientenly to almost anyone
- New Internet Scam - ‘Ransomware’ Locks Computers, Demands Payment
- POLICE DISMANTLE PROLIFIC RANSOMWARE CYBERCRIMINAL NETWORK
- Prolific London-Based Ransomware Blackmailer Jailed
- Prolific porn ransomware operator jailed for more than six years in UK
- Ransomware Abettor Sentenced
- Ransomware cyber-attack: Who has been hardest hit?
- Ransomware: Why the crooks are ditching bitcoin and where they are going next
- Reveton ransomware distributor sentenced to six years in prison in the UK
- Reveton ransomware gang arrested by Spanish police
- Reveton ransomware gang busted by Europol
- Social Engineering
- Spanish cops cuff 11 for €1m-a-year ransomware scam
- The WannaCry ransomware attack left the NHS with a £73m IT bill
- Threat Spotlight: Cisco Talos Thwarts Access to Massive International Exploit Kit Generating $60M Annually From Ransomware Alone
- True scale of Bitcoin ransomware extortion revealed
- UK hacker jailed for six years for blackmailing pornography site users
- Understanding the Depth of the Global Ransomware Problem
- US Indictment Against Raymond Uadiale - March 2018
- Vulnerability (computing)
- Washington State Man Sentenced to Prison for Role in Connection with Reveton Ransomware
- What is a distributed denial of service attack (DDoS) and what can you do about them?
- What is Cryptocurrency? [Everything You Must Need To Know!]
- What is malvertising? Malvertising vs. Ad malware
- WHAT IS RANSOMWARE? A GUIDE TO THE GLOBAL CYBERATTACK’S SCARY METHOD
- Why Did Criminals Trust Liberty Reserve?
- Zain Qaiser: Student jailed for blackmailing porn users worldwide
- Turn the Lights on Ransomware
- What Is Ransomware?
- Most Ransomware Isn’t As Complex As You Might Think
- Digital currency exchange Liberty Reserve accused of massive money-laundering
- Liberty Reserve & 7 Others Charged for Allegedly Running $6 Billion Money Laundering Scheme
- Massive Money Laundering Scheme Targeting Digital Currency
- ShadowGate: Malvertising in Action Talos
- What is Malvertising?
Artwork this episode by 𝕄årç ∆⃝ 𝕄ølïñårō.
Additional music by Epidemic Sound.
Recording equipment used this episode was the Shure SM7B, a cloudlifter, Audient ID4, Sony MDR7506 headphones, and Hindenburg audio editor.