A talk at Defcon challenged people to find a way to destroy a hard drive. A young man was inspired by this challenge and was determined to find a way to destroy a hard drive. But this is not a typical young man, with a typical plan.
Daniel interviewed by Hak5
Daniel speaking at Shmoocon
Daniel’s backyard pit for burning hard drives
Daniel’s new PPE
Daniel’s strange new location to do hard drive burning
Daniel speaking at Shmoocon now disguised
Daniel speaking at Defcon
Askia in tunnel
Askia in tunnel
Entry to tunnel
Another video of tunnel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4DDSH7cbUI
Thanks to the reviewers who previewed this episode before it went live and provided valuable feedback. They include @greyhathackr, Nick, Brett, @r1otctrl, @Pyrostic, Karla, and a few more who wish to remain unidentified.
This episode was sponsored by Nord VPN. Visit https://nordvpn.com/darknet and use promo code “DARKNET”.
This episode was sponsored by IT Pro TV. Get 65 hours of free training by visiting ITPro.tv/darknet.
- Former UI student arrested in computer incidents, building damage
- What is thermite?
- Former ECE student charged with hacking professor’s account
- Former UI student charged with computer fraud, criminal damage to property
- “ECE hacker” pleads guilty to charge of computer fraud
- Mysterious tunnels in Bethesda murder case were being built as nuclear bomb shelter
- Maryland man gets bail in case of worker’s bizarre death
- County Files Lawsuit Against Owners of Bethesda Home Where Fatal Fire Took Place And Tunnels Were Found
- Behind an indicted Bethesda millionaire’s fascination with tunnels under his house
- Bethesda bunker revealed after Beckwitt conviction
- Tunnel Digger Testifies in Murder Trial of Bethesda Millionaire
- Jury to Decide if Deadly Fire in Bunker Tunnels Was a Crime
- Deadly fire exposes millionaire’s network of secret underground tunnels
- Victim’s family speaks out after fire exposes wealthy man’s secret underground tunnels
- Bethesda Millionaire Will Not Testify in His Murder Trial
- Judge Denies Motion for Acquittal in Beckwitt Murder Trial
- Wrongful Death Suit Filed Against Bethesda Man Who Dug Tunnels Under House
- After deadly fire, Bethesda home containing underground tunnels will be torn down
- EXCLUSIVE: Photo shows tunnel inside Bethesda home where deadly fire happened
- US millionaire charged with labourer’s nuclear bunker death
- Questions remain about victim, cause in deadly Bethesda house fire
- North Bethesda Area House Fire Death Investigation
- Suspect Arrested in Bethesda Fatal House Fire Investigation
- What is depraved-heart murder in Maryland?
- Man found dead in home where tunnels found; man arrested
- Secret tunnels beneath Bethesda home ‘dangerous,’ county says in lawsuit
- The Latest: Prosecutor cites ‘extreme risk’ in bunker fire
- Wealthy Stock Trader Convicted in Man’s Death in Bunker Fire
- Wealthy stock trader convicted of murder after a worker died in a fire while excavating his doomsday shelter
- Defense Will Appeal Conviction in Bethesda Tunnel Fire Murder Case
- What Is Depraved Heart Murder? The Unusual Charges Against Officers In Baltimore
- Bethesda murder trial: Tunnels under house a death trap, prosecutors say
- Yoda “fear is a path to the dark side”. Star Wars Episode 1. YouTube. Mar 15, 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMwnkSS4Z5s
- For What It’s Worth. Buffalo Springfield. YouTube. Jun 25, 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9gZ4KLS24M
- Defcon talk: And that’s how I lost an eye
- Daniel’s first Defcon talk
- Daniel’s Shmoocon talk: And that’s how I didn’t lose an eye
- Daniel’s Shmoocon talk: This Message Will Self Destruct in 10 Seconds
- Daniel’s Defcon talk: DIY Nukeproofing
- DIY Nukeproofing slides
- DIY Nukeproofing slides version 0.1b
Artwork this episode by habblesthecat.
Additional music by Epidemic Sound.
Recording equipment used this episode was the Shure SM7B, a cloudlifter, Audient ID4, Sony MDR7506 headphones, and Hindenburg audio editor.
Add this episode of Darknet Diaries to your own website with the following embed code:
<iframe frameborder="0" height="200" scrolling="no" src="https://playlist.megaphone.fm?e=ADV8534430497" width="100%"></iframe>
JACK: [MUSIC] Psst. Hey you, I got a story for you but it’s a secret one. It’s about a mission, a plan that’s so confidential that nobody is allowed to know about it. The secrecy of the plan is even more important than the safety of executing the plan itself. Are you ready for it? What would you do if you had a few million dollars and were convinced that inter-continental missiles were soon going to be hurdling towards your city? You could pack up and run but these might be nuclear warheads. Running might not help. It’s best to shelter in place but your house is no match for missiles. You need to go underground into a bunker, a bomb shelter. You search online and see some bomb shelters you can buy. They’re not too crazy expensive. You can afford it; you’re a millionaire. But remember, secrecy first. If you buy a bomb shelter and deliver it to your house, everyone will know your place is the place to go to during an attack. Yeah, that won’t work. There’s gotta be a better solution to this, one where nobody would ever know about, but also one that when you put safety second, you risk human life.