PSYOP, or “Psychological Operations”, is something the US military has been doing to foreign audiences for decades. But what exactly is it? And what’s the difference between white, gray, and black PSYOP missions? We talk to PSYOP specialists to learn more.
Thanks to Jon Nichols for telling us about this fascinating world.
Support for this episode comes from LastPass. LastPass is a great password manager but it can do so much more. It can setup 2FA for your company, or use it to monitor what your users are doing in the network. Visit LastPass.com/Darknet to start your 14 day free trial.
Support for this episode comes from Blinkist. They offer thousands of condensed non-fiction books, so you can get through books in about 15 minutes. Check out Blinkist.com/DARKNET to start your 7 day free trial and get 25% off when you sign up.
- Vietnam War Ghost Audio Tape used in PSYOPS ‘Wandering Soul’
- Jon Nichols Part 0 - Unallocated Spaces Talk on Russian Propaganda
- Cyber-Influence: Cyberwar and Psychological Operations
- WWII Psych Ops
- MISO Marines broadcast important information to Afghans
- The War You Don’t See
- Edward L. Bernays interview, 1986-10-23
- As it fights two wars, the Pentagon is steadily and dramatically increasing money spent on propaganda
Books (affiliate links)
Darknet Diaries is created by Jack Rhysider.
Episode artwork by odibagas.
Recording equipment used this episode was the Shure SM7B, a cloudlifter, Motu M2, Sony MDR7506 headphones, and Hindenburg audio editor.
Add this episode of Darknet Diaries to your own website with the following embed code:
<iframe frameborder="0" height="200" scrolling="no" src="https://playlist.megaphone.fm?e=ADV6390502125" width="100%"></iframe>